Adventures in Crossposting.

This blog is dedicated to all of my crossposting friends. I am constantly amazed by all of the hard work you put in, for no benefit other than seeing a "SAFE" label on the picture of an animal, whom you may have never met, who previously had little chance at a happy life...or a life at all. You, along with the wonderful rescues, advocates, and helpful shelter workers all over the country are fighting to make sure that someday, none of them will have to fight just to live.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ISSUES IN RESCUE: The Cost of Out-Of-State Rescue

I really feel like I want to tackle this topic, because it seems to come up a lot. On my rescue album on Facebook for the Highlands County Florida Urgent Dogs , I list out what it will cost to save a dog from the shelter, both for local and out of state adopters. I have been asked many times lately, "Why do they charge so much for out of state rescues? I want to save a dog, you want it safe. Can't you do it for less/free?"

The answer is, no. And the reasons are all practical, not greed-related (at least for the good rescues out there).

Let's say you want to rescue a dog and you are local. That's awesome - that's what I want! I want that dog to go to a good home. You can come to the shelter, pay the $75-85 pull fee...this comes with rabies vaccine and spay/neuter surgery. You can also opt to ask for a heartworm test once the dog is at the vet, which will cost another $40. In the grand scheme of things, $115 for a neutered, vaccinated, heartworm tested dog is a pretty good deal...it would cost you a lot more at your vet.

Now, let's say you are an out of town adopter, and you contact me, asking me to get a male dog to you. This is where it gets trickier. This means that you are not able to come to the shelter yourself to do the financial transaction, and you are not able to pick your dog up from the vet. Here is a breakdown of what it costs to save your dog:
- Gas to get to the shelter: $varies (and I have never asked anyone for gas money, even though I am 2 hours away.)
- Pull Fee: $75.
- Post-surgery Pain Meds: $10
- Heartworm Test: $40 (and if your dog comes up heartworm positive, I have then taken on the risk that you no longer want the dog, which is now my responsibility...but let's say he's heartworm negative.)
Then, the dog needs an Interstate Health Certificate. This requires:
- Wellness Exam: $28
- Parvo/Distemper Test: $17
- Fecal Flotation Test: $14
- Deworming Medicine: $45
- Interstate Health Certificate Issuance: $12

So far, this is $241, and every step of the way I shoulder the risk that you may change your mind on saving the dog (it happens way more often than you would think).

Then, we have to figure out transport. Let's say you live far away, and it is best to transport the dog via flight. Let's assume that flight costs $300 (I have never had to pay for a flight for a dog, so I am guessing here). Let's say that the next flight that your dog can catch is 3 days after his neuter procedure, and you do not have a local foster in place. This means $15/day for boarding...which comes to $45 total.

Then, someone has to pick up your dog from the vet and transport them to the airport, which is usually Orlando airport in the case of the dogs at Highlands. This is a 3 hour drive round trip, and costs gas money as well. There will also have to be a travel kennel purchased...let's say that's $100.

So in total, assuming that the dog is healthy, assuming that you keep your end of the bargain and don't decide at some point that you have changed your mind...the grand total cost for an out of state rescue (under the given circumstances) can be around $686. If you have asked me to pull this dog and change your mind at any time, disappear from contact, etc...then I have a large financial bill to cover (remember, it's $241 before he even gets on a plane) AND a dog who is depending on me to find him a place to live that is NOT back at Animal Control.

I hate to say it, but I don't know any rescue that can consistently afford to take on $700 per dog bills on behalf of people who only have to say "never mind" when the going gets tough. I know I can't. As I have said many times, animal rescue is not an endeavor that makes any legitimate rescuer money. There are no stockpiles of unused donations sitting around, and whenever I let people know how much it would cost to save a dog - I am NOT embellishing. I am NOT demanding gas money or mileage or repayment for my time, and most of us don't. I am ONLY asking for the hard costs of getting that dog to safety, and I can't afford to cover them, even temporarily, for someone who's only commitment is saying "I want that dog!" on Facebook.

All that being said, though, for those who are truly committed...for those who are willing to contribute to the safety of their future furry children (or start a chip-in themselves to raise money to help defray the rather large cost involved)...for those who plan their transport without demanding that someone else take care of it for them...for those who are willing to take on a dog that may need some extra care, even if they weren't expecting it...I am at your service, and I know several people who feel the same way. Because our goal, above all else, is to get these dogs and cats to homes that really care about them, wherever the location.

Speaking of which, I would like to give a shout out to Wendy Lorden, who rescued one of the Highlands dogs recently. Wendy asked me to pull Diamond, an American Bulldog mix, for her. When I called to give her the awful news that Diamond was heartworm positive, she didn't flinch. When her transport plan fell through, she paid for Diamond's boarding and then drove all the way from Tennessee to Florida to pick up her new girl. She never gave up, or demanded that I figure out how to fix things. That's commitment!

All of us rescuers are committed to seeing every one of these dogs safe. But although it would be nice if it wasn't, money is a factor. Please keep this in mind if you are considering rescuing from out of state, and the whole process will be easier for all involved. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment